Please read these Conditions carefully, they form an important part of the contract for your GVI Program.
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO AMEND THESE CONDITIONS AT ANY TIME. All amendments to these terms and conditions of use will be posted online and you will be bound by the latest version. Please make sure you check regularly to see any amendments have been made.
All Programs advertised in our brochures and on our website are operated by GVI Programs Ltd., which trades as GVI, with UK company registration number 10632333, and its related entities and associates (hereinafter called “GVI”, “we” “us” or “our”).
- “Application” means the application submitted by the Student and/or the Customer to apply for the Program.
- “Booking Agreement” means the booking agreement concluded between GVI and the School.
- “Conditions” means the information and terms and conditions contained in this document.
- “Contract” means these Conditions, the Booking Agreement (where you are the School), and the Application (where you are the Student or the Customer).
- “Customer” or “you” means the School, the Student and/or the parent or legal guardian of the Student (where the Student is a minor), as the context may indicate.
- “Force Majeure” means unusual and unforeseeable circumstances beyond the reasonable control of GVI, including but not limited to, events such as war or threat of war, riot, civil strife, industrial dispute, unavoidable technical problems with transport, closure or congestion at airports, terrorist activity, acts or changes in sovereign law or other official government action, natural or nuclear disaster, outbreak of disease or imposition of quarantine, fire and adverse weather conditions.
- “Major Change” includes, but is not limited to, a significant change in the itinerary, destination or the length of the Program.
- “Price” means the amount payable by the Customer to GVI for the Program.
- “Program” means the skills development Program provided by GVI, including the planning, preparation, training for and participation in the in-country section of the Program.
- “Program Leader” means the person or persons appointed by GVI to lead the Program.
- “School” means the school, college or organisation which has commissioned GVI to plan and undertake the Program.
- “Student” means the person who is participating in the Program.
- “Team” means the Students and accompanying adults participating in the Program.
Application and Acceptance
- To apply for the Program, the School must submit a signed Booking Agreement to GVI in respect of the Program. Once submitted by the School and accepted by GVI, a binding Contract will have been concluded between GVI and the School.
- Once the School has submitted the Booking Agreement, Students who wish to participate in the Program must apply by completing an Application. In doing so, they will be required to accept and comply with these Conditions. In addition, the parents or legal guardians of minor Students (referred to as “the Customers”) must accept these Conditions on behalf of such Students. GVI urges the Students and the Customers to read these Conditions carefully and to contact GVI if they do not understand or fully agree with any provision contained in these Conditions.
- By submitting an Application, the Customer confirms that the Application has been fully and accurately completed. The Customer shall inform GVI in writing immediately or as soon as is reasonably possible where there is a change in the Student’s information (including but not limited to medical information).
- If we accept an Application, we will issue the Customer and the Student with confirmation of acceptance. A fully binding Contract will exist between the Customer and GVI from the date GVI issues such confirmation. When the Customer receives the confirmation, they must check the details carefully and inform us immediately if any details are incorrect. If the Student will be travelling to a foreign country, the Students’ names on their travel documents must match those contained in their passport(s). Unless we are responsible for the mistake, we will not accept liability if an airline or other supplier refuses boarding or access to their services because the name(s) shown in the passport differ from those on the tickets or other documentation.
- Personal safety of the Student is of paramount importance to us and therefore it is imperative that the Customer advises us at the time of applying of any condition, medical or otherwise, that might affect the Student’s or other persons’ s enjoyment of the Program. Anyone suffering or who has suffered from mobility impairment, disability, medical conditions, illness or undergoing/undergone treatment for any physical, psychological or medical condition(s) must declare the true nature of such condition at the time of applying and make arrangements for the provision of any medication or other treatment which may be required during the Program. Failure to make such disclosure will constitute a breach of the Contract and could result in such persons being excluded from the Program, in which case, without prejudice to any other rights or remedies of GVI, the cancellation charges below will apply.
- The Price quoted by GVI covers the cost of planning, organising and carrying out the Program.
- The Price includes the cost of all specialist equipment, supplies, administration and travel (between the agreed point of departure and the destination country, and within and between countries when abroad, if part of the Program). The Price does not include the following costs and the Customer will be responsible for these costs in addition to the Price:
- inoculation fees;
- cost of travel to the agreed point of departure and cost of travel from the agreed point of return, cost of passports, visas and related charges where applicable;
- personal spending money; and
- the cost of the Student’s own prescribed medical requirements and personal equipment and clothing, and additional insurance for any personal belongings.
- Programs may be tailored to the School’s requirements and, as such, Prices may vary. Prior to the submission of their Application, we will inform the Customer of the Price of the relevant Program. All prices are accurate at the date of booking by the School, but we reserve the right to change any of those prices at any time during the Program.
- Changes in transportation costs, including the cost of fuel, dues, taxes or fees chargeable for services such as landing taxes or embarkation or disembarkation fees at ports and airports and exchange rates mean that the Price of the Program may change after the School has booked the Program or after the Application has been accepted. However, there will be no change within 30 days of departure for the Program.
- If the Price increases by more than 10%, the Customer may either:
- accept the increased Price;
- accept a replacement Program of equivalent or similar standard and Price (at the date of the change), provided we are able to offer such a Program; or
- cancel the Contract and receive a full refund of all monies paid, excluding any monies paid in respect of any amendment charges.
- Should the Customer decide to cancel the Contract for this reason, the Customer must exercise their right to do so within 14 days from the issue date printed on the final invoice. However, please note that travel arrangements are not always purchased in local currency and some apparent changes have no impact on the price of travel due to contractual and other protections in place.
- The location of the School will determine the currency that the Price will be charged in, unless otherwise specified by GVI in writing.
General Payment Terms
- When completing the Booking Agreement, the School will be required to choose one of two payment options, namely:
- Payment Option 1: the Student’s parent or legal guardian pays the Price to GVI directly; or
- Payment Option 2: the School pays the Price to GVI on behalf of the Student, and recovers the relevant Price from the Student’s parent or legal guardian.
- Deposit payments are non-refundable and all instalment payments become non-refundable on their due date.
- GVI reserves the right to charge a late payment fee of GBP 25 for payments not received by their due date.
- If payment is not received within 7 days of the due date, GVI may cancel the Contract and remove the Student(s) from the Program. The Customer will not be refunded any payments made. The Student will not be eligible for Program credit in such instances.
- GVI may agree to accept payment from a third party, however, where GVI agrees to this, the Customer shall remain responsible for payment of any monies due to GVI under this Contract.
Payment Option 1
If the School selects Payment Option 1, then the following provisions will apply:
- At the time of submitting the Application, the Customer must pay to GVI the first deposit amount. We will notify the Customer prior to the submission of the Application of the amount payable as the first instalment of the Price for the particular Program.
- For the balance of the Price, the Customer will follow the payment plan determined by GVI (“the Payment Plan”), which Payment Plan will be communicated to the Customer prior to the conclusion of the Contract and shall be aligned to GVI’s Payment Plans Policy. Payment Plans include full payment upfront, instalments plans, and fundraising plans.
- The Customer agrees to pay the Price as per the Payment Plan by means of an Electronic Funds Transfer (“EFT”) into the bank account nominated by GVI in writing, or by credit/debit card (whichever is agreeable by GVI).
- Where GVI agrees to accept payments by EFT, the Customer must comply with the following provisions:
- Instalment payments are due on such dates and in such amounts as are communicated to the Customer by GVI in writing;
- The final balance payment is due no later than 12 weeks (84 days) before the departure date for the Program; and
- An instalment fee of GBP 195 will be applied to cover the processing of these payments.
- Where GVI agrees to accept payment by instalments payable by debit/credit card, the Customer must comply with and agrees to the following provisions:
- The debit/credit card used to make the initial payment will be stored and subsequent payments will be charged on the date they are due; and
- If a credit/debit card will expire prior to payment having been made in full, or if the Customer wishes to utilise a different method of payment, the alternative payment details must be supplied at least 7 days before the payment is due.
Payment Option 2
If the School selects Payment Option 2, then the payment provisions contained in the Booking Agreement will apply.
Customer Cancellation and Insurance
- For the avoidance of doubt, the Customer may not make changes to the Program.
- The Customer may cancel the Program at any time on written notice to GVI. Please note that the closer the cancellation is to the departure date, the costs and expenses incurred by GVI will be higher. Notice of cancellation will be effective on the date of receipt thereof by GVI. For the avoidance of doubt, where the Student is withdrawn from the Program by his/her School, the Customer will be deemed to have cancelled the Program in terms of this clause.
- If the Customer cancels the Program or the Contract, any payments made are non-refundable.
- If the Customer transfers payments made to an alternative Program or later date, any payments that were non-refundable in terms of the previous Payment Plan will remain non-refundable, regardless of the provisions of any new Payment Plan.
- If the Customer cancels:
- more than 12 weeks prior to departure, the Customer can receive credit to use for another GVI Program, destination or an alternative start date. The credit shall be the full amount of monies paid, less any irrecoverable flight costs or insurance fees. Where credit is issued to the Student, it must be used within 5 years of issue. Credit may be transferred to the Student’s siblings, but is not transferable to other individuals and is not redeemable for cash. Once credit has been issued, the Customer waives any right to request a refund.
- 12 weeks or less prior to departure, the Customer will not be entitled to any refund or any Program credit, unless explicitly stated in writing by GVI in its sole discretion.
- In all cases where GVI agrees to provide refunds, the refund will be made by or to the original method of payment. In the event the credit or debit card has expired, the cardholder must contact their bank on how to recover the funds. GVI will not refund alternate accounts or individuals. All refunds incur a processing fee of GBP 10 and can take up to 180 days to process in full.
Package Travel Arrangements
- The Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018 (“PTR”), applies to Program packages which include two of the following:
- Carriage of passengers (e.g. flights or train tickets);
- Rental of cars; and/or
- Any other tourist service which accounts for a significant portion of the value of the package.
- In addition, in order for the PTR to apply:
- The Program package must also have one point of sale (e.g. it will not apply for groups where flights or activities are paid for separately); and
- The Customer and the Student must be residents of the UK or European Union. Customers, Students or Schools based outside of the UK and European Union are not covered under PTR.
- Depending on the custom itinerary designed for the School, PTR may or may not apply. The Customer will receive information about the applicability of PTR prior to concluding the Contract.
- Where PTR applies:
- if the program is cancelled due to Force Majeure, the Customer will be entitled to a full refund;
- the Student will be eligible to transfer the package to another student who meets the PTR requirements outlined above, upon the provision of sufficient notice to GVI and subject to additional fees being payable, where applicable; and
- the Customer will be eligible for insolvency protection as outlined in the PTRs.
- We plan arrangements for the Program many months in advance and may occasionally have to make changes, most of which are minor. All Programs are subject to availability. Future start dates for destinations or Programs cannot be guaranteed.
- If a Major Change becomes necessary, we will advise the Customer of the change as soon as possible. When a Major Change occurs, the Customer will have the choice of either:
- accepting the change; or
- cancelling the Program, in which case any refund or credit will be dealt with in accordance with the above terms that are applicable when you cancel the Program or terminate the Contract.
- Operation of all Programs is dependent on a minimum number of 12 persons being confirmed on the Program. If that number is not achieved then the following may occur:
- A surcharge fee can be applied to guarantee the group’s departure:
- If the group size has reached 10 or 11 individuals, and all would like to still go ahead, there will be an added 10% surcharge per paying person added to the Price;
- If the group size has reached less than 10 individuals but more than 7, an additional surcharge of 20% per paying person will be added to the Price; or
- If the group size has reached 6 or 7 individuals, an additional surcharge of 30% per paying person will be added to the Price;
- The Student group will be given the option to join an existing group, the location and date will be subject to availability and itineraries may change. If a Student is under the age of 18, they will be given the option to join an Under 18 program, which may differ in price by a maximum of 50% of the Price; or
- If any of the above options are not a suitable alternative, the Contract will be terminated and a full refund may be given of all monies paid. Refunds will be issued in accordance with the Terms and Conditions. Any Customer that has previously cancelled the Contract will not be eligible for a refund.
- Except in cases of Force Majeure or other events outside of our control, if we are forced to curtail the Program after the Student’s departure, if possible, we will make suitable alternative arrangements. If we are unable to make such alternative arrangements, or the Customer rejects these arrangements for good reason, then we will return the Student to the agreed point of departure. The Customer’s first recourse should be to claim any paid but unused portion of the Price from their insurance. If the insurance provider rejects the claim, then GVI shall refund the Customer for any unused services, if appropriate.
- In the event of cancellation or where changes are made to the Program, GVI shall not be liable to the Customer or the Student for the cost of arrangements made by the Customer and/or the Student for purposes of attending the Program, including but not limited to travel arrangements to the Student’s point of departure, connecting travel that is non-refundable or non-changeable, visas or vaccinations.
Cancellation Due to Force Majeure
- Except in cases where the PTR applies as outlined above, in the event of Program cancellation or curtailment due to Force Majeure, or any other reason beyond our control, the Customer’s first recourse shall be to lodge a claim with their insurance provider.
- If the Customer is unable to receive any payment from their insurance provider, then GVI shall issue a credit to the Student for the full amount of monies paid, less any irrecoverable Program, flight or insurance fees, to use towards an alternative start date or GVI destination/program. GVI reserves the right to provide alternative destinations or programs and all are subject to availability and these Terms. Credit must be used within 5 years of issue. Credit may be transferred to the Student’s siblings, but is not transferable to other individuals and is not redeemable for cash.
Visa, Passport, Travel Documentation
- It is a condition of the Contract that the Customer provides us with certain information. This is known as Passenger Name Records (“PNR”) data and/or Advanced Passenger Information. The information the Customer must provide will include, but not be limited to, the Student’s full name (as shown in their passport), sex, date of birth and, passport number, country of issue and expiry date. The Customer must provide this information to GVI no later than 4 months prior to the Program start date. Failure to provide us with this information shall be deemed to be your termination of the Contract and the Student shall be unable to attend the Program.
- Whilst we are able to provide basic advice regarding passports and visa requirements, the Customer and Student must request the exact requirements for the chosen Program and date of travel from the appropriate embassy, consulate or National Foreign Office. It is the Customer’s responsibility to ensure that the Student has the correct passport, visas and other necessary documents to enable the Student to participate in the Program and gain access to any country/region included in the Program itinerary. If the Customer fails to do so, we will have no liability to the Customer or the Student for any cost, loss or damage, nor will we refund the Customer or the Student the cost of any unused portion of their Program and/or the cost of other travel arrangements.
- In some cases, countries will refuse entry to persons who have criminal records. Should this be of concern to the Customer or the Student, the Customer should confirm whether they may enter the country by checking with the relevant embassy or consulate. The Customer is entirely responsible for ensuring that the Student has the correct and valid documentation for travel. We cannot accept responsibility for any failure to comply with travel requirements, resulting in any costs or fines being incurred and we advise the Customer to check with the passport office or the consulate in question if there are any queries. If the Student is travelling overseas to certain destinations, they may need to pass through controls of other countries enroute, and the Customer and Student must ensure that such passage is allowed for purposes of their passport/visa applications. The Student must comply with all local legislation and regulations of the country or location in which the Program takes place. The Customer shall pay GVI for any loss or expense that GVI may incur as a result of a breach of this clause.
- Except as disclosed in writing to GVI, the Customer warrants that they are not aware of any reason why the Student may have difficulty entering any of the countries covered by the Program.
- Please note that for some Programs we need to request special permits, and as such we require the Student’s passport details to be provided upon the submission of their Application. Furthermore, if the Student renews their passport after the Application has been submitted, the Customer must ensure that the Student takes their old passport with them to maintain the validity of the permit.
- The Customer may be required to provide a notarized parental consent form, completed and signed by all legal parent(s) and/or guardian(s) of the Student, where GVI believes it may be required for purposes of the Program.
Health, Fitness & Participation Requirements
- The Customer must be satisfied when consenting to the Student’s Application that the Student is fit and able to complete the itinerary of the Program. The fitness requirements relevant to the Program will be provided at the time of booking. The Customer must supply a medical form, signed by the Student’s medical practitioner, confirming their fitness to participate. If the Customer is unable to provide the required documentation, then GVI reserves the right to terminate the Contract and withdraw the Student from the Program, without a refund.
- If the Student or accompanying adult suffers or has suffered from mobility impairment, pre-existing or existing illness, disability or other medical condition, or is undergoing treatment for any physical, psychological or medical conditions, the Customer must declare the true nature and full particulars of such condition(s) at the time of applying and make arrangements for the provision of any medication or other treatment which may be required during the Program.
- The Customer confirms that the Application has been completed fully and accurately (in particular giving full details with regards to the Student’s mobility impairment, pre-existing or existing illness, disability or other medical condition or undergoing of treatment for any physical, psychological or medical conditions) and will inform GVI in writing immediately if any relevant circumstances change.
- Failure to make such disclosure (including without limitation if it is later discovered that a pre-existing condition was not declared within the specified time) or providing incorrect information at any time where the correct information would affect the Student’s suitability to take part in the Program, will constitute a breach of these Conditions and GVI reserves the right to terminate the Contract and withdraw the Student from the Program without recourse or refund.
- In order to assess the Student’s and an accompanying adult’s suitability for the Program, GVI requires all Students and accompanying adults to complete a GVI medical form at least 8 weeks prior to Program commencement. If any medical history is disclosed on the form, it must be signed by the Student’s and/or the accompanying adult’s medical practitioner. GVI reserves the right to require documentation from a doctor or specialist and/or to consult with their own medical and mental health professionals regarding the Student’s physical and mental fitness to undertake the Program. GVI reserves the right to terminate the Contract and withdraw the Student from the Program without refund on the grounds of a doctor’s comments or advice. Any additional medical documentation GVI requires will be at the Customer’s expense.
- We are able to advise on mandatory health requirements; however, we are not medical experts. It is the Customer’s responsibility to obtain proper and detailed medical advice prior to submitting their Application and again prior to travel. Where the Customer does not do so and the Student is not allowed to enter any country, or suffers personal injury or death as a result, we have no liability to the Customer or the Student for any cost, loss or damage which the Customer or the Student suffers nor will we pay a refund for the cost of any unused portion of the Program. In the event that the Student has any existing medical problems, is pregnant or has recently visited other countries, the Customer must check with the Student’s medical practitioner if there are any medical requirements or recommendations that they should adhere to.
- The Student and any accompanying adult must take all necessary inoculations or medication within the requisite period before the departure date and during the Program (as appropriate). The Customer must take advice from the Student’s medical practitioner as to which inoculations or medication are necessary and/or advisable for the Program and follow the advice provided. GVI reserves the right to inspect the Student’s or an accompanying adult’s vaccination records at any time and to terminate the Contract and withdraw the Student from the Program in the event that the Student has not received all the requisite inoculations or medication.
- The Customer consents to (i) the Student’s participation in the Program; and (ii) emergency medical treatment of the Student in the event that the Customer cannot be contacted in an emergency. The Customer shall ensure that GVI is provided with up to date emergency contact information and next-of-kin details for the Student.
- In certain instances, the Student and accompanying adult may be required to supply a negative test for certain viruses prior to departing for, during, or returning from their Program. The costs of these tests will be the responsibility of the Customer.
- GVI reserves the right to mandate quarantine, at its discretion, where a Student or accompanying adult shows signs and symptoms of a virus of particular concern to GVI and/or the World Health Organisation (“WHO”). The costs of quarantine should be claimed through insurance. If there is a shortfall in costs, or the insurance provider rejects the claim, the Customer will be responsible for payment of these costs.
- Should the Student or accompanying adult miss their return flight due to medical reasons, the flight will need to be rebooked. The costs of any flight changes should be claimed through insurance. If there is a shortfall in costs, or the insurance provider rejects the claim, the Customer will be responsible for repayment of these costs.
- If the trip is delayed due to any medical reasons, GVI will supply a staff member or representative to chaperone the Student at their Program destination until they are able to depart. Any additional costs related to supplying this individual will be claimed through the Student’s insurance policy.
- GVI cannot guarantee the Student or accompanying adults will not become infected by any viruses or sustain any bacterial infections. By joining the Program, the Customer understands the risk of becoming exposed to certain viruses and infections. The Customer release GVI, its employees, owners and partners of any liability with respect to any bodily injury, illness, death, medical treatment, or property damage that may arise from exposure to viruses and infections related to, or in connection with, the Student’s (and the accompanying adults’) participation on the Program.
- In order to protect the safety of the vulnerable communities that we work in as well as our staff and students, the Student and accompanying adult(s) may be required to be fully vaccinated with a vaccine approved by the WHO. Medical exemptions for vaccination will only be permitted in limited circumstances.
Leader Authority & Behaviour
- By entering into this Contract and/or by attending a Program, the Customer undertakes to comply with (or mandate compliance with, in the case of the School and the parent/guardian of a Student) any code of conduct circulated or published by GVI from time to time.
- During a Program, the Student and accompanying adult must abide by the authority and instructions of GVI and the Program Leader. For the avoidance of doubt, whilst a Program is in progress, all decisions shall be made by GVI. If the Student or accompanying adult breaks any applicable law or regulation during the Program, or if in our reasonable opinion the Student’s or the accompanying adult’s behaviour is disruptive, threatening or abusive, causes unnecessary inconvenience or is causing or is likely to cause damage to property, danger, distress or upset, disturbance or annoyance to others or puts any other traveller or our staff in any risk or danger, we may terminate the Contract, whether in writing or verbally, and withdraw the Student from the Program without any liability on our part.
- In such event, neither the Customer nor the Student will be entitled to any refund and the Customer will pay to GVI the costs, losses or expenses which GVI incurs or suffers as a result of the Student’s or the accompanying adult’s behaviour described above, this would include any cost involved in repatriating the Student or the accompanying adult from the Program destination.
- The Customer or the School is responsible for the cost of any damage caused to the accommodation or the contents of the accommodation during the Student’s stay. These charges must be met by the Customer and may have to be paid immediately.
- GVI reserves the right to search the Student’s bag, room or property where there is a health and safety, legal or other serious risk suspected, such as the possession of illegal and illicit substances, including marijuana.
- Unless stated otherwise, the Price includes Traveller’s Insurance to cover emergency medical evacuation and other emergency medical requirements during the Program. A copy of the policy, (including without limitation details of cover and details of limits and exclusions of the insurance policy) will be provided at least 7 days prior to departure.
- Unless otherwise stated at the time of booking, the insurance policy does not cover any pre-departure cancellation, including but not limited to, voluntary cancellation, and/or cancellation due to medical reasons. Should the Customer wish to have this benefit, they must purchase their own policy, at their own expense. No refund will be given for the policy already included in the Student’s Program in the event of overlapping cover.
- The Customer and Student must be familiar with the terms of the policy. It is strongly advised that satisfactory arrangements are in place for the insurance of other aspects that are not covered by the insurance policy, including without limitation personal belongings. The insurance policy provided by GVI is designed to cover all activities included in our itineraries and the featured optional extras. Please note however that the insurance policy provided by GVI may not cover the Student for any activities purchased that are not pre-booked nor featured in official GVI literature. If activities that are not pre-booked nor featured in official GVI literature are purchased, the Insurance provider must be contacted and asked for confirmation as to whether such activities are covered under the policy.
- It should be noted that a general principle of insurance is that pre-existing conditions are not covered. The Customer should assume that this is the case with all insurance policies included in the Price, unless specifically advised otherwise in writing by GVI.
- In all cases where the Customer or the Student wishes to make an insurance claim, they must do so with the provider directly.
- GVI reserves the right to make a claim against the Student’s policy if GVI pays for any medical treatment or incurs any other costs related to the Student that are claimable on their insurance policy. If such a claim is rejected by the insurance provider, either in part or in its entirety, or the Customer has already been reimbursed by the insurance provider directly, the Customer is responsible for reimbursing GVI within 14 days for any costs incurred by GVI in relation to the Student.
- Additional insurance may be required to comply with immigration requirements for specific destinations. In this instance the additional cost of complying with these requirements will be at the Customer’s expense.
Additional Information About the Program
- GVI will organise the travel arrangements in relation to the Program and will provide one or more experienced Program Leaders to lead the Program and to assist all of the Students (and any accompanying adults).
- Meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) from the agreed point of departure until the Student’s return to that point at the end of the Program, are included in the Price.
- Dates and itineraries shown for Programs are indicative only and subject to change.
- Throughout the course of the Program, various meetings and training will be provided, which the Student must attend.
Terms of Service
As part of Program training, the Student will receive access to GVI’s online courses. By accessing these courses and other online training materials, the Customer agrees to our Terms of Service on the Student’s behalf.
- Any likeness or image of the Student secured or taken on any of our Programs may be used by GVI without charge in all media (whether now existing or in the future invented) for bona fide promotional or marketing purposes, including without limitation promotional materials of any kind, such as brochures, slides, video shows and the internet.
- If the Customer or the Student choose to supply GVI with any photographs, they hereby confirm that:
- the Customer and the Student irrevocably grant permission to GVI, and licensees and assigns, to use such photographs throughout the world for any of their commercial or non-commercial purposes in any and all media, including, without limitation, in GVI’s printed publications, presentations, promotional materials, in the advertising of GVI’s goods or services or on GVI’s website and social media;
- the Customer and Student waive all moral rights in such photographs to which they may now or at any future time be entitled under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 as amended from time to time and under all similar legislation from time to time in force anywhere in the world; and
- the Customer and the Student shall procure any necessary third-party consents and/or waivers to give effect to this clause and shall indemnify GVI and its related companies and associates against any claims, losses, damages or costs arising from its failure to do so.
Any research, data, reports, photographs and documentation collected by the Student on the Program remains the property of GVI or our in-country partners. GVI or our in-country partner’s permission must be received before that data can be used (e.g. before the Student can include it in a research or scientific paper). No compensation will be provided to the Student or the School for any data or research they collect during the Program or as a result of this Contract.
Our Liability, Conditions of Carriage & Limitations
- Our obligations, and those of our suppliers providing any service or facility included in the Program, are to take reasonable skill and care to arrange for the provision of such services and facilities. The Customer or the School (as the case may be) must show that reasonable skill and care has not been used if the Customer wishes to make any claim against us. Standards of safety, hygiene and quality vary throughout the destinations that the Program may involve. Sometimes these standards will be lower than those which would be expected in your home country. The suppliers of the services and facilities included in the Program should comply with local standards where they are provided.
- Our liability, except in cases involving death, injury or illness, shall be limited to a maximum of 3 (three) times the Price of the Program per Student. Our liability in all cases will be limited in accordance with and/or in an identical manner to the contractual terms of the companies that provide the transportation for travel arrangements, where the limitation of their liability is more extensive than the provisions of this clause. In such instances, those terms are incorporated into this Contract; together with any relevant international convention as detailed below. We are to be regarded as having all benefit of any limitation of compensation contained in these or any conventions. The Customer can ask for copies of the transport companies’ contractual terms, or the international conventions, from our offices at GVI.
- We shall have no liability where the cause of the failure to provide, or failure in, the Program or any death or personal injury suffered is not due to any fault on our part or that of our agents or suppliers, including where the loss or harm suffered is due to unusual or unforeseeable circumstances beyond our control.
- If any international convention applies to, or governs, any of the services or facilities included in the Program, or provided by any of our suppliers, and the Customer makes a claim against us of any nature arising out of death, injury, loss or damage suffered during or as a result of the provision of those services or facilities, our liability to pay the Customer (and/or the Student) compensation and/or the amount (if any) of compensation payable to the Customer (and/or the Student) by us will be limited in accordance with and/or in an identical manner to that provided for by the international convention concerned (in each case including in respect of the conditions of liability, the time for bringing any claim and the type and amount of any damages that can be awarded). International Conventions which may apply include, without limitation: in respect of international air travel, the Warsaw Convention 1929 (as amended) or the Montreal Convention 1999; in respect of rail travel, the Berne Convention 1961; in respect of carriage by sea, the Athens Convention 1974; in respect of carriage by road, the Geneva Convention 1973; and, in respect of hotels, the Paris Convention 1962. For the avoidance of doubt, this means that we are to be regarded as having all benefit of any limitations of compensation contained in any of these Conventions or any other international conventions applicable to the Program. Other than as set out above, and as is detailed elsewhere in these Conditions, we shall have no legal liability whatsoever to the Customer or the Student for any loss or damage.
- Please note that we have a list of approved providers of rest and recuperation/relaxation activities. The Student must only use such approved providers for such rest and recuperation/relaxation activities. The Student is not permitted to participate in rest and recuperation/relaxation activities that are not approved by GVI and/or that are not provided by GVI approved providers.
- If the Student is joining the Program locally (i.e. not starting with the rest of the Team from the point of departure), our responsibility does not commence until the Student physically joins the team. If the Student is joining the Program locally they must be accompanied by an adult until the Student has joined up with the rest of the Team. If the Student is leaving the Program early (i.e. not returning with the rest of the Team to the agreed point of return) they must be met by an adult before leaving the rest of the Team and the adult must accompany the Student on the remainder of their journey. We shall not be responsible for any additional expenses incurred by the Student or any accompanying person(s) to meet up with the rest of the Team, whether for the Student to join the rest of the Team locally or for the Student to leave the rest of the Team early. The Student will not be insured under the GVI Insurance policy unless they are with the Team. Where the Student is over 18 years old, we will accept written consent from the Customer for them to travel independently.
- We may operate Programs in regions where standards of accommodation, transport, safety, hygiene, medical facilities and other infrastructure may, at times, be lower than those the Customer or Student normally expect. The application is accepted on the understanding that the Customer and the Student realise the hazards and possible risk involved in adventure travel, including injury, disease, loss or damage to property, inconvenience and discomfort, and agree that the Student undertakes the Program at their own risk and volition. The whole philosophy of adventure travel is one that allows alternatives and a substantial degree of on-trip flexibility. The outline itineraries given for each Program must therefore be taken as an indication of what the Team on the Program should accomplish, and not as a contractual obligation on our part. Changes in itinerary may be caused by local political conditions, flight cancellations, mechanical breakdown, weather, border restrictions, sickness, or other unforeseeable circumstances.
- Please note that the timings of air, sea, road or rail departures are estimates only. These timings may be affected by operational difficulties, weather conditions or failure of passengers to check in on time.
- Whilst GVI makes every effort to ensure that the Program is safeguarded from terrorism by relying upon the best available advice at that time, due to the unpredictable nature of global terrorism, GVI can make no guarantees. By submitting an Application, the Customer acknowledges that the Student will travel at their own risk and confirm that the Customer has made their own enquiries as necessary. GVI expressly excludes all liability (both direct and indirect) to the maximum extent permitted by law for any losses or damages whatsoever that the Customer or the Student may suffer or incur as a result of, or in connection with, an act of terrorism.
Law & Jurisdiction
English (UK) Law shall apply to this Agreement and the parties agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
- GVI may subcontract any of its obligations under this Contract, provided that the Customer’s rights are not adversely affected as a result. We may assign, cede or delegate our rights and/or obligations in terms of the Contract to a third party on reasonable written notice to the Customer in advance of the departure date.
- If a court or any other competent authority finds that any provision of the Contract (or part of any provision) is invalid, illegal or unenforceable, that provision or part-provision shall, to the extent required, be deemed deleted, and the validity and enforceability of the other provisions of the Contract shall not be affected.
- All communications relating to this contract (in particular any requests to cancel the Program) must be from the Customer in writing and in English and delivered by email to [email protected].
- No addition to or modification of any provision of these Conditions by you will be binding on GVI, unless made in writing and signed by our duly authorised representatives.
- These Conditions, read together with the relevant booking form and Application form, is the whole agreement between the parties with regards to the subject matter.
- If the Customer or the Student has a complaint about the Program, they must direct the complaint in writing to [email protected]. We will acknowledge receipt within 7 days and aim to provide a full response within 28 days.
- Should GVI be unable to resolve a serious complaint, the Customer shall refer the matter to the legally binding arbitration service, Dispute Settlement Services Ltd, at their expense. Should we be found to be in the wrong, the Customer’s reasonable costs of filing the dispute will be reimbursed if so ordered by the arbitration body.